No doubt fires are dangerous, but electrical fires are more dangerous!
According to a report published by CFA, one out of every four fires in homes are electrical. Do you think electricity is dangerous? You did not realise how dangerous it is until an electrical problem led to a fire in your house.
However, you are lucky enough to live in an era in which electrical fire can be prevented. If you know the cause of the problem and go for an immediate solution, you can save your house and your family from a disaster.
The question is, what should you do?
How does an electrical fire start? A list of the most common factors that starts an electrical fire!
Why should you pay heed to the smell of burning? Can you smell an electric fire?
Electricity produces heat energy. When it passes through electrical wires and other circuits present in your house, much more heat is produced due to the flow of electrons across different types of material. But most of the time, this heat is contained by electrical insulators and plastic wiring.
But if a malfunction happens anywhere in the circuit, it can result in massive heat production and burning.
Electrical wires usually come with plastic or rubber insulation. If you smell any unusual plastic burn, be careful; it can be a sign of electrical fire!
When you inhale toxic particles, it can cause many respiratory problems, such as asthma.
Suppose you sensed the danger and caught the cause of the fire, mainly before it turned it into a full-on fire—the chances of survival increase to a thousand folds.
How old and outdated circuits can cause an electrical fire in the walls?
As mentioned above, electricity produces heat. Insulation of wires is made in a way to stand this heat, but old and outdated wires and circuits lose the ability to handle this much heat.
These circuits and wires may not have the capacity left to deal with the amount of electricity needed for the modern equipment to operate and, as a result, get very hot.
Similarly, the protective insulation may worn-out over time. Insulation prevents fires, but now it can cause a fire.
Heat, when reaches to an extreme level, the plastic on the fire may get fire within your walls.
Our team can tell what type of wiring is used in your house during the inspection for your safety. By determining the condition, our team can help you avoid any bad incident.
1. Loose and worn-out electrical outlets
It is not only your outdated electrical insulation that can cause an electric fire.
Loose and worn-out electrical connections are another causes of electrical fire in house. An issue like loose and worn-out outlets can sometimes result in a huge disaster.
It can be avoided by getting poor electrical outlets replaced or tightened.
If the screw of the outlet falls out, then it should also be replaced to avoid any short-circuit.
2. Overloaded extension wires
It seems a regular thing because it is a routine matter at many places. Our homes and houses are full of such overloaded extensions. While it looks like an everyday activity, but it can bring serious electrical problems.
Electrical circuits have a finite capacity to bear electrical load; extensive heat is produced when the load goes beyond the limit, and the circuit can catch fire.
One of the most common mistakes made by people is the use of an overloaded power board.
Never ever overload your electrical circuits, especially your extension cables. Overloading increase the production of heat, and it eventually melts plastic insulation.
It seems convenient to use extension cables, but it also comes with a cost. Make sure that your circuits are safe to use.
3. Malfunctioning and Tripping circuit breakers
The primary purpose of a circuit breaker is to prevent short-circuits and preventing electric fire. When electricity consumption reaches a dangerous level, circuit breakers cut the electric circuits and prevent fires.
Besides managing the issue of overloading, electric breakers also reduce heat production.
A significant sign of potential electric fire is tripping switches. It indicates that there is some kind of issue within switches. You need to talk to your local electricians or electric company in order to prevent electric fires.
How fast does an electrical fire spread?
Very fast! You cannot even imagine who quick electric fire can spread. We are not saying that to scare you, but we are just trying to make you aware of the seriousness of the situation by presenting the correct fact.
You can see this informative video about how fast fire spread.
Electric fire can spread everywhere in less than a minute, and in some cases, it only takes 30 seconds to turn into an unimaginable incident. It can destroy property and take precious lives.
If the surroundings contain wood, fabric, or any fire catching material, be aware that it can further accelerate fire spread.
You can prevent the fire by keeping an eye on all the factors mentioned above.
Is there any uncertainty in your mind regarding electric wiring or breaker? Ask us how often electrical inspections are needed? We will be more than happy to assist you.
What to do if you suspect an electrical fire?
Turn off all appliances and remove wires in outlets
First, you need to turn off all the electric devices and the devices working natural gas.
If you get lucky enough to deal with the spread of fire quickly, you will have to tackle the smoke. In many cases, the smoke becomes the cause of death, then fire itself.
If you smell any burning plastic in your house, you need to take all the precautionary measures before it’s too late. Turn off, then unplug all the devices in the house.
This action of yours will cause the flow of electricity to stop. Then you can tackle another issue to save yourself, your family, and your property. It would be best if you located the area from where the smoky smell is coming.
Will water put out an electrical fire?
You may consider throwing water on the electric fire the best way to put it out!
But you may be wrong.
Because throwing water on the electric fire will on make it worse. It will also increase the chances of more short-circuits. Water is the conductor of electricity, and in case, you can get a strong electric current from the burned wires.
To put out an electric fire, you need an electric fire extinguisher. It contains chemically synthesised material to put out the electric fire.
Evacuate the area and call for help
The first step is to evaluate your surroundings. Only then you will be able to make an ideal plan to tackle the situation.
After doing a quick evaluation, you need to call for help. Dial the emergency number, share with your address and tell us the fire intensity for a better response.
The best way to protect yourself and your family in this situation is to evacuate, exceptionally when the fire starts to consume products and property.
It may get smoky during evacuation. In this case, stay close to the ground and cover your face with any wet cloth.
Reduce the risk of electrical fires in your home
Organise an electrical inspection today
When it comes to fire, security, preparation is crucial. It means that you should regularly take an electrician on board for checking and evaluating the potential fire threats.
It is also essential to ensure that the electric circuits are safe and in good condition.
Our team of qualified technicians can help you to contain any potential threat of an electric fire outbreak.
You can contain us on our website, and we will be happy to have you on board.
Our expert team will find the potential threat and help you make your home safer for you and your family. Our electricians are available through South East Queensland. You can have our services anywhere and anytime. You will get a quick response no matter the day.
For us, your safety first!